Online Education Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Campus SaVE Act?
The Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, or Campus SaVE Act (SaVE), is a 2013 amendment to the federal Jeanne Clery Act. President Obama signed this act into law as part of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA) on March 7, 2013. The SaVE Act was designed by advocates along with victims/survivors and championed by a bi-partisan coalition in Congress as a companion to Title IX that will help bolster the response to and prevention of sexual violence in higher education.
The SaVE Act requires all colleges and universities, both public and private, participating in federal student aid programs (covering almost every campus in the United States) to increase transparency of incidents of sexual violence occurring within their campus community, guarantee enhanced victims’ rights, provide standards for institutional conduct proceedings, and provide preventative educational programming to all incoming students, faculty, and staff.
Institutions must comply with The SaVE Act no later than July 1, 2015.
How can I bring SPEAK UP to my institution?
Your community can be up and running with SPEAK UP in as little as 24 hours, depending on contracting and data collection. Here is what the process looks like:
1. Work with your institution and the appropriate entities to handle contracting information for the campus, covering uses of the programs, rights, features, and data collection.
2. Compile the necessary contact information. We will need email addresses and names for all participants in an MS Excel .XLS file. Our team will work to ensure this file is properly uploaded for easy access.
3. You will receive an administrator login and access to the learning management system to monitor the program as needed.
4. Campus participants will receive an email detailing program access, outlining use, expectations, and technical information. You can choose to assign a specific time in which they are required to access and complete the program.
5. Depending on contracting and usage, the campus participants will gain access to the program for as long as needed to complete the curriculum. Throughout this process, participants and campuses will have 24/7 tech support. Additionally, real time data collection will be available for campus administrators and moderators.
6. Once all users have completed the program, SPEAK UP team members will contact your campus moderators to discuss data gathered and address any concerns as needed.
What does it cost?
For only dollars per user, you can affordably provide training to your campus community. Cost is based on a fixed rate depending on the number of users and the length of the contract. To learn more on how our program can accommodate your institutional needs, contact us at 1 (844) 745-8570 or [email protected].
How long is the program?
SPEAK UP can be completed by users in 50-60 minutes, depending on time spent on the activities between modules. The program is also customizable for different audiences. Your institution’s moderator will have the power to add additional modules to dive deeper on select topics. While it is recommended that participants complete the program in one sitting, it is possible to use a learning on-demand model. Users can be added at any time throughout campus access, making this program great for incoming stydents and engaging new audiences as they emerge.
What resources will I receive?
- SPEAK UP’s turn-key solution includes:
- Video-based online learning experience (45 minutes)
- Onboarding and follow-up emails to all participants
- Real-time participant tracking and data dashboard
- 24/7 tech support
- Facilitation guide for advisors or student leaders, to advance the conversation
- Letter to parents
- Ready to use SPEAK UP social media campaign
- Sexual violence awareness posters
- Option to customize with your own introductory video and branding
- Customizable pre and post assessments that track institutional data and measure program effectiveness
- Facilitator guides to continue the conversation in live group settings
- Supplemental resources including additional training videos
- *All programs are customizable for the college, including a Campus Climate Survey option.
Video-based online learning experience includes:
- Eight online modules addressing the topics of:
- Sexual Assault & Stalking
- Identifying Unhealthy Relationships
- Bystander Intervention
- Survivor Support
- If You Have Been Sexually Assaulted
- Risk Reduction & Prevention
- Optional Add-in Modules Include:
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Pre-College Assault & Survivorship
- Secondary Survivorship & Self Care
How can I best use the SPEAK UP toolkit?
We provide a number of follow-up resources meant to further the conversation following the completion of the program. One of the premier resources we will provide your members is access to facilitator guides. These guides are designed to help trained staff or peer educators continue the conversation, reinforce curriculum and create a meaningful dialogue. We also encourage users to engage parents in the conversation because we know parents have played a critical role in shaping your student’s worldview. Changing campus culture will take more than just a one time program. Utilize our awareness posters and social media campaigns to create additional touch-points. Our staff looks forward to constantly advancing this conversation and providing tailored assistance when considering the implementation.
How did we create our curriculum and content?
For more information on our content, please see learning outcomes. Our curriculum was created using industry experts and by partnering with survivors. All content is Campus SaVE Act compliant and built to meet the educational needs of your students while providing a meaningful educational experience.